If your house is a semi-detached or detached property and you are planning a construction project we are here to help! This is the page to get you started on your journey, with the information you need to make sure you have all the right permits and clearances in place. Whether you’re doing the work yourself or are hiring someone to do it for you, read on to find out more.

In some cases, you may also need approval from external agencies like Burlington Hydro, Conservation Halton, Ministry of Transportation, Niagara Escarpment Commission, etc., as applicable.

Consolidated Pre-Building Permit Review

Most home renovation and construction projects require a Building Permit, but before you can apply for a Building Permit you need to apply for a Consolidated Pre-Building Permit.

The Consolidated Pre-Building Permit process includes a Zoning Review, Grading and Drainage Review and a Forestry Review.

If you’re not sure that you need a Consolidated Pre-Building Permit or approval from an external agency for your project, please contact a Residential Development Technologist from the Community Planning Department at 905-335-7642.

Building permits

Building permits are required for most home construction and renovation projects such as but not limited to: 

  • Home renovation projects:
    • Decks and porches – this includes enclosing your existing deck, porch or patios;
    • Garages and sheds – we call these ‘accessory structures’;
    • Interior renovations such as: basement renovations, accessory dwelling units, kitchen/bathroom alterations, removal of interior walls, etc.
  • New home construction and additions and
  • Demolitions (including interior and exterior work)

If you are unsure that you require a building permit for your project, please contact a Permit Technologist from the Building and By-law Department at 905-335-7731.

Committee of Adjustment

If your proposed home construction or renovation project does not comply with the Zoning By-law and you wish to have these minor zoning deviations approved, you will need to make an application to the Committee of Adjustment for a Minor Variance.

Note – A Minor Variance must be approved before the City can issue an approval for a Consolidated Pre-Building Permit.

Swimming pools and enclosures

Swimming pools, fences and driveways and curbs are not included in this process. Visit those pages for more information.

Follow these steps to apply for your permits:

  1. View the requirements for the Consolidated Pre-Building Permit 
  2. Apply for a Building Permit
  3. Receive your building permit and arrange for project inspections.

Have you already started the permit process?

Check the status of your application

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are there so many steps and permits needed?

The City strives for continuous improvement and are always looking for ways to get better.  We know our process is not perfect and we thank you for your patience.

Over the course of 2022, staff are conducting a review of the Consolidated Pre-Building Permit process with a goal of making it more efficient, predictable, and easier to navigate for our customers.

We are also finalizing a new organizational structure for the Community Planning Department with new staff recruitments that will improve our customer interactions and ensure your review process goes smoothly.

If you have any questions about this or would like to discuss further, please contact:

Jamie Tellier
Manager of Planning Implementation

905-335-7777 x7892

[email protected]

Related Posts